With all the family lawyers available, how can you find the right one for you? It’s a very important decision, so you should do careful research and take your time to make sure you don’t regret your decision and money you spend.
What do family lawyers do? Briefly, they assist people such as you with the legal issues that face families. These issues can include:
2) Spousal support
3) Child support
4) Child custody
5) Division of assets and liabilities
6) Adoption of children
7) Termination of parental rights
9) Dependency and child neglect
10) Protection from abuse
If you need someone to do unpleasant work for you or your spouse if hostile, then you will need a family lawyer.
Another factor to consider is the complexity of your finances and life. Is it a mess such that it would take a family lawyer months to figure out, or is it rather easy to comprehend?
Find a good lawyer. Ask your friends who have been divorced. Research trustworthy websites and other resources. Weed out those that just won’t work for you. Look for the following:
1) Do the family lawyers in your small list have expertise in the area that you need?
2) Do they have the information that you need?
3) Use search engines on the name of the lawyers and their law firms, searching for articles they’ve written, FAQ’s and pieces that the lawyer has done that can increase your level of comfort with those who will be looking into your personal affairs and (hopefully) successfully helping you through a very difficult time.
4) Has anyone heard of your lawyer candidates? What do clients say?
5) What does your state bar association say about them?
6) Do the lawyers advertise? If so, do you find it helpful or informative?
7) Has there been any publicity about the lawyer in your local newspapers?
8) What special needs do you need that some lawyers may not have?
9) If you call the lawyers on your short list, are they pleasant, well informed, and likely able to deliver results?
10) Can you schedule an appointment with the lawyer?
We wish you the best as you seek the best family lawyer for you.