A fifty eight year old employee at the Abacus Chemical plant located at Oil Sites Road, Ellesmere Port sustained toxic burns following an accidental chemical explosion while at work. The worker, who remains unnamed, reportedly was mixing sodium cyanide pellets with hydrogen peroxide when the solution exploded, leaving him practically scarred for life. The scalding toxic mixture caused serious personal injury, sending the employee off work and requiring skin grafts to the arms and upper body.
Post combined prosecution by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and the Environment Agency, a total fine of £12,000 was successfully imposed on Abacus Chemical Ltd, of Greenfield Business Centre, Greenfield, in North Wales, along with covering costs incurred worth £14,000 on the said accident.
Further investigations have reported to the Chester Magistrates’ Court the company’s inadequate provision of proper safety equipment such as protective clothing and the like. Pertinent risk assessment for mixing chemicals was neither brought about in such task, overall lacking an environmental permit to carry out such operations in the plant. The resultant exothermic explosion allegedly was from more or less five times too much hydrogen peroxide being added to the sodium cyanide pellets, HSE reported.